Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Magic of the Kindle Made Me a Believer

This will be a short one, contrary to my normal verbosity.

I've resisted getting a Kindle (or some other e-reader) for some time. Like others, I wanted the feel of a real book in my hands, and ultimately worried that the experience of reading wouldn't be the same without that. There's just something in the feel of the paper in your hands, and the weight of the book itself, that has always contributed to the experience for me.

Today, in light of a surprise influx of funds, I picked up a Kindle Touch, ultimately because the lower price of ebooks would go a long way to supporting my interest in way too many books that come out these days. I'm incredibly happy to report that reading on my Kindle feels so much like reading a regular book that I find myself acting out old habits while reading: reaching for the top corner of the device as I near the last line on the page, so I can turn it seamlessly; looking for my bookmark as I pause my reading to take care of something else; and cradling the Kindle (with the fold-over case) just like I would any other book.

While I was in line at Radio Shack, the guy behind me mentioned that he loved his Kindle, and that I would "read more and read faster," and at least, for the moment, I'm inclined to believe him.

If you've been on the fence, do yourself a favor and go pick up one of the many Kindle models (personally, I'd stick to the E-Ink screens, rather than the backlit screen of the Kindle Fire, though). If you love books as much as I do, I don't think you'll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment